The need for a long-term sustainable solution for social care to meet people's increasing support needs, and relieve pressure on the already stretched NHS, has featured strongly in election coverage over the past week.
An ageing population and their families will have this issue in their minds as Election Day approaches. As the professional association for organisations providing care to people in their own homes, UKHCA have launched a Manifesto for supporting older and disabled people to live independently.
This is an issue of vital importance to people who use services, and their families, in Bradford and why I support UKHCA's call on our next government to:
- Ensure that people with care and support needs can remain independent at home
- Relieve pressure on the NHS by effective use of homecare
- Make it easier for people who are willing or able to fund their own care and support
- Stabilise the state-funded social care market
- Expand the workforce and increase recognition of homecare workers
- Ensure that the public are protected through consistent regulation
- Ensure a sufficient workforce following exit from the European Union.